We welcome students from around the world to join the multicultural Georgetown University community in our Summer High School Programs! Please review the information below for important details regarding the application and visa processes.
Application & Visa Information
- College Credit Courses and College Prep
If you are a student applying to take credit courses, and English is not the primary language of instruction at your high school, please submit English proficiency examination scores from one of the following exams, along with the rest of your application materials, to email@example.com.
- TOEFL scores: We require a minimum score of 550 (paper-based), 225 (computer-based), or 90 (iBT)
- IELTS scores: We require a minimum score of 7.0
- Duolingo: We require a minimum score of 115
Please note that TOEFL scores expire after two years, and we require valid, unexpired score reports.
If you attend a bilingual school, your school official must email a copy of your school profile to firstname.lastname@example.org in lieu of proficiency examination scores.
In order to study at Georgetown in F-1 student status you must maintain a minimum course load of six credits per session (full-time enrollment). Students must be registered as a full-time student before an immigration document can be issued.
If you will be receiving visa assistance from Georgetown:
- College Credit Courses Students - Satisfy this requirement by registering for courses providing at least 6 credits and maintaining that registration status for the duration of their session.
- College Prep Students - Satisfy this requirement by being registered in a 3-credit English as a Foreign Language course in addition to the credit course that you select from the list of courses approved for College Prep.
After you are admitted, you will work with the Office of International Students & Scholars to complete I-20/DS-2019 process.
Please allow at least six weeks for the processing of immigration documents. For Main First Session, we recommend applying by the first week of April and for Main Second Session, including College Prep students, by the third week of May.
All admitted international students studying in F-1 status must attend a mandatory immigration orientation session upon arriving to Georgetown. The date and time of this session will be announced via email.
TOEFL scores are not required for the Academies. To fully participate and enjoy these programs, we recommend that you be able to:
- In English, understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in your field(s) of interest.
- Interact with a degree of English fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers possible without strain for either party.
- Produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
The Academies are ineligible for immigration support for the student visa F-1. Students should contact the U.S embassy in their home country for other visa options and entry requirements to the U.S.
Mandatory Health Insurance
All international students* enrolled in Georgetown University’s Summer Programs for High School Students are required to carry sufficient medical insurance coverage for the duration of their program. To assist in meeting this requirement, all international students will be automatically assessed an insurance charge on their student account or student invoice and will be enrolled in a health insurance plan. Requests for insurance waivers will not be considered.
1-Week Academies: $30
2-Week Academies: $60
3-Week Academies: $90
College Prep Program: $150
Credit Courses—Main First Session: $150
Credit Courses—Main Second Session: $150
*If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, then you are considered to be an “international student.” If you are a U.S. citizen but live in another country, you are not an international student and will be required to show proof of health insurance.
**Insurance rates are estimated and subject to change.
Still Have Questions?
If you have additional questions, please contact us at email@example.com and we'll be happy to assist you.