Steps to Complete Your Application
300- to 500-word
Write a 300- to 500-word personal statement describing why you want to attend the Summer High School Programs at Georgetown University. Your completed essay should be uploaded to your online application prior to submission.
Letter of Recommendation
Provide the contact information of one reference within the online application. Upon submitting your application and $50 application fee, your chosen point of contact will receive an electronic request with instructions for submitting their letter of recommendation.
In order to submit your application, you must provide a non-refundable $50 application fee.
If English is not the primary language of instruction at your high school, please submit TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo scores to email@example.com. If you attend a bilingual school, your school official must email a copy of your school profile to firstname.lastname@example.org in lieu of TOEFL Scores. For more information on international student requirements, including visa information and mandatory health insurance, please visit our Resources for International Students page.
- Application Process
Summer Credit applications are reviewed starting in January of the year of the program. Our Admissions Office only reviews completed applications (which includes the $50 application fee, Personal Statement Essay, Letter of Recommendation, and transcript) and they may request additional information if needed; admission decisions are released as they are made. Please allow up to three weeks after we have received your completed application for an admission decision to be emailed to you.
Note: Email is the primary form of communication throughout the application and admission process. Only the primary email address listed in the application will receive the automatic communications and application updates. Please ensure that both parent/guardian and student emails are entered correctly on the application. If there is a change in either email address, please inform our office immediately at email@example.com.
- Rolling Application Review Begins: January
- Early Bird Deadline: January 31, extended to February 7*
- *Application fee waived for all applications submitted by this date
- Registration Opens: First Monday in February
- Final Deadline: May 15
Applications received after this date will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
To apply to High School Sessions—College Prep, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current or rising high school freshman, sophomore, or junior, or a rising senior during the academic year prior to your summer program
- Show evidence of good academic standing, with at least a 3.0 GPA
- Homeschooled Students
In addition to the application requirements listed above, eligible homeschooled students applying to a Summer High School course must be able to provide the following:
- An unofficial or official transcript with all course grades from year 9 (high school freshman) through the present. Full transcripts must be supplied every year, regardless of whether you have previously submitted materials to Georgetown in a past semester or year.
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or another person who can speak to your academic abilities and capacity to thrive in a college environment (recommendation letter cannot come from a family member or paid tutor).
- Course descriptions, books used, and methods of formal academic evaluation.
- Detailed information about the homeschooling program or agency providing the program. In the event that the program is not being offered and certified by an outside agency and local/state board, the professional/academic qualifications of the homeschool provider must be included. Additionally, copies of any local/state waivers received by the program must be included in the file. This information helps our Admissions Office ensure equity and fairness.*
- Any official scores from standardized tests that have been taken.
- An unofficial or official transcript from any courses that have been taken at a local college.
*Georgetown respects and values homeschool programs, and we welcome applications from students who have been homeschooled. We also recognize that homeschool programs can vary based upon individual local/state rules and regulations. Please note: Our high school programs are offered by, and adhere to, federal rules and regulations and those instituted within the District of Columbia. Local/state rules and regulations for homeschool programs outside of D.C. do not necessarily apply to our admissions process and procedures.
- International Students
If English is not the primary language of instruction at your high school, please submit English proficiency examination scores from one of the following exams, along with the rest of your application materials:
- TOEFL scores: We require a minimum score of 550 (paper-based), 225 (computer-based), or 90 (iBT)
- IELTS scores: We require a minimum score of 7.0
- Duolingo: We require a minimum score of 115
Please note that TOEFL scores expire after two years, and we require valid, unexpired score reports.
In order to study at Georgetown in F-1 student status, you must maintain a minimum course load of six credits per session (full-time enrollment).
You will work with your International Programs advisor to complete the I-20 process.
Please allow at least six weeks for the processing of immigration documents. For the Main First Session and Cross Session, we recommend applying by the first week of April and for Main Second Session, we recommend applying by the third week of May.
All admitted international students studying in F-1 status must attend a mandatory immigration orientation session upon arriving to Georgetown. The date and time of this session will be announced via email.