Steps to Complete Your Application
300- to 500-word
Write a 300- to 500-word personal statement describing why you want to attend the Summer High School Programs at Georgetown University. Your completed essay should be uploaded to your online application prior to submission.
Letter of Recommendation
Provide the contact information of one reference within the online application. Upon submitting your application and $50 application fee, your chosen point of contact will receive an electronic request with instructions for submitting their letter of recommendation.
In order to submit your application, you must provide a non-refundable $50 application fee.
Submit a copy of your standardized test scores (in PDF format) to email@example.com. We accept PSAT, SAT, ACT, or ACT PLAN.
If English is not the primary language of instruction at your high school, please submit TOEFL/IELTS scores to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you attend a bilingual school, your school official must email a copy of your school profile to email@example.com in lieu of TOEFL Scores. For more information on international student requirements, including visa information and mandatory health insurance, please visit our Resources for International Students page.
- Application Process
Applications for Summer 2018 will be reviewed starting in January 2018 and will be assessed on a rolling basis thereafter. Our Admissions Office only reviews completed applications; admission decisions are released as they are made. Please allow up to three weeks after we have received your completed application for an admission decision to be emailed to you.
Note: Email is the primary form of communication throughout the application and admission process. Please ensure that both parent and student emails are entered correctly on the application. If there is a change in either email address, please inform our office immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application review begins January 2018 and continues on a rolling basis
- Priority application deadline: April 15, 2018
- Last day to submit application: Two weeks prior to the start of your preferred course
To apply to the Summer Programs for High School Students, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current high school freshman, sophomore, or junior during the 2017–2018 academic year
- Show evidence of good academic standing, with at least a 3.0 GPA
- Take the SAT, PSAT, ACT/PLAN
- Have no history of suspension from high school
- Homeschooled Students
In addition to the application requirements listed above, eligible homeschooled students applying to a Summer High School course must be able to provide the following:
- An official transcript with all course grades from year 9 (high school freshman) through the present. Full transcripts must be supplied every year, regardless of whether you have previously submitted materials to Georgetown in a past semester or year.
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or another person who can speak to your academic abilities and capacity to thrive in a college environment (recommendation letter cannot come from a family member or paid tutor).
- Course descriptions, books used, and methods of formal academic evaluation.
- Detailed information about the homeschooling program or agency providing the program. In the event that the program is not being offered and certified by an outside agency and local/state board, the professional/academic qualifications of the homeschool provider must be included. Additionally, copies of any local/state waivers received by the program must be included in the file. This information helps our Admissions Office ensure equity and fairness.*
- Any official scores from standardized tests that have been taken.
- An official transcript from any courses that have been taken at a local college.
*Georgetown respects and values homeschool programs, and we welcome applications from students who have been homeschooled. We also recognize that homeschool programs can vary based upon individual local/state rules and regulations. Please note: Our high school programs are offered by, and adhere to, federal rules and regulations and those instituted within the District of Columbia. Local/state rules and regulations for homeschool programs outside of D.C. do not necessarily apply to our admissions process and procedures.
- International Students
TOEFL and IELTS scores
If English is not the primary language of instruction at your high school, please submit TOEFL scores along with the rest of your application materials.
Please note that TOEFL scores expire after two years, and we require valid, unexpired score reports. Please use the Georgetown School of Continuing Studies school code, 5986, when sending your official score reports.
- TOEFL scores: We require a minimum score of 550 (paper-based), 225 (computer-based), or 90 (iBT)
- IELTS scores: We require a minimum score of 7.0
In order to study at Georgetown in F-1 student status, you must maintain a minimum course load of six credits per session (full-time enrollment).
You will work with your International Programs advisor to complete the I-20 process.
Please allow at least six weeks for the processing of immigration documents. For Session 1, we recommend applying by April 12, 2018 and for Session 2, we recommend applying by May 26, 2018.
All admitted international students studying in F-1 status must attend a mandatory immigration orientation session upon arriving to Georgetown. The date and time of this session will be announced via email.